"Honey, I shrunk the disks!"
Want to give people floppy envy? Build your own USB 1541 Mini disk drive for use with THEC64®! Watch the video above then follow the recipe:
1) Build the drive:
- Get my recommended 3D Printer at the "Tools I use" page
- Get the USB Floppy Drive: USA | UK
- Download the 1541 Mini Case 3D Models
- C64 Paint Match: USA | UK
2) Create a blank disk:
- Connect the USB floppy drive to the computer & insert a 1.44MB HD disk
- Open Disk Utility
- Format/Erase the floppy disk with these settings:
- MS-DOS (FAT)
- Master Boot Record
- Connect the USB floppy drive to the PC & insert a 1.44MB HD disk
- Download & extract dd.exe then move it to C:/
- Download my disk image & move it to C:/
- Open Windows Command Prompt and paste/type the following:
dd of=\\.\a: if=c:\PER1541.img bs=1440k
If you only want a blank disk to save BASIC programs or Save States to, you're done!
To copy game files from the Interwebs to your floppy, read on...
3) Copy games:
For Mac just drag the games to the floppy. PCs however can only do this within Linux (Macs and Linux are closely related). Let's install a free copy of Linux inside Windows:
- Download and install VirtualBox
- Download Ubuntu Linux
- In VirtualBox install Ubuntu using default settings (video guide below)
- In Ubuntu desktop right-click the USB icon at the bottom-right & select your floppy drive e.g. "TEAC"
- Download games in Ubuntu Firefox then drag them to the Floppy icon
Tip: To have a .D64 game disk file automatically mount you may rename the file as follows. Connect the disk & drive to THEC64 before powering up:
Congratulations, your floppy is now the envy of all!
This Retro Recipe is Donationware. If you appreciate the work & wish to use it, you may do so completely free of charge. Or you can support the development of this & other projects by clicking below, where rewards include support for this recipe, early new video access, music, merch, name credits, & more. Cheers!